Sunday, June 15, 2008

Daddy dearest


I don't have a father. Well, in the sense that Bee, a.k.a. mommy, doesn't have a significant other, a.k.a daddy, I don't have a father.

But I do have a fantastic grandfather in Bee's Dad.

Every time we go to visit her parents at the Midwest Day Spa and Resort, he always picks us up at the airport. And just after hugging Bee hello, he always looks in my Sherpa Bag for me and says in the most excited voice; 'HEY JOOO-CIIEEE LOO-CEEE!!"

And then, he lets me ride outside of the Sherpa bag in the back seat of his truck. I then perch myself high enough to sit above his left ear so I can see out of the front of the car. He does not tell me to sit back.

He always pets me, picks me up, rubs my belly and gives me treats. And when I'm back in New York, he always asks how I'm doing when he speaks to Bee.

That is love.

Furthermore, he helps my mother with any questions about retirement, real estate, football, taxes or career advice. He also hunts and fishes, neither for animals which are extinct nor which I would seriously see myself dating.

He also paid for Bee's college tuition, went to a bunch of badminton and volleyball tournaments when Bee was in grade school/high school, never judged her boyfriends no matter how inappropriate they were, always encouraged her to do whatever she wanted, taught her how to bait her own hooks and shoot a bow and arrow (she learned how to shoot a gun at Orvis, but put into practice what she learned with her father), made her huge breakfasts every weekend, and still picks her up from the airport every time she comes home. And he pushed her to excel, to be ambitious, to learn about the world around the US, but never forget where you came from. And, he loved Bee's mom. For, like, ever. Seriously, since they were kids. And they've been married 32 years this year.

This is why I don't have a Dad yet...Bee hasn't found one as exceptional as her own to take care of me.

Happy Father's Day.

(p.s., I normally don't include humans on the blog, but this is the best picture I found of me with Bee's dad)

2 Comments:

Blogger JerryTSpringer said...

Dear Lucy,

I can appreciate your love of your grandad. I am the granddog of two sets of human grandparents and though I adore my mom and dad (and I tolerate that child-thing since he has started sneaking food to me and occasionally throwing my squirrel)I do so enjoy the wilds of the Garden State.

Let's make a playdate soon so I can sniff your little po po.

Jerry THE Springer

7:43 PM  
Blogger Lucy V. said...

Well, Jerry, we'll have to make a play date soon. You can bring the child-thing if you like, but really, the joys of our play dates are sniffing up on your goodies, not the child's.

See you soon.

Lucy

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home